20120219

CityLife – Urban Playground

It has been quite a while since I have posted anything bar the Autodesk Cover entry in the previous post.  We have actually been quite busy which is a nice change in the Arch Viz world.
Below are the pieces I submitted for the Ronen Bekerman’s latest Architectural Visualization Competition.  This is the second of the Ronen Bekerman competitions I have entered and I was lucky to win a place this time around too.  The other was the Hover Challenge which can be found on this blog.

My entry won the best texturing category in the Open Category Awards.  I am actually really proud of this as I did put quite a lot of effort into the texturing this time.  I found the theme of the competition very difficult and it was a slow start for me.

There is a lack of life in my renders which was picked up by the judges and I would have loved to have had people in the renders but I’m not quite there yet – maybe next time.  The life was supposed to come from the various items in the scene however this was not pulled off.

Everything in the scene I modeled from scratch except the snow covered trees which are from Evermotion.  The autumn trees were modeled in Exlevel’s GrowFX and the snow was done using Snowflow which is a great little plugin.

Half of the Graffiti graphics were also done by me (the ones in the foreground).  I used 3DSmax2011 with VRay 2.0.  I used Forest Pro for the grass.  The DOF was rendered in VRay.  

Although I found the theme quite a challenge which I feel was reflected in my final images I still thoroughly enjoyed this competition and look forward to the next. 

Congratulations to the winners - Once again there were some amazing work done.  And of course thanks to Ronen Bekerman and the sponsors for another great comp!